Finis Sparkman was a snare line member from Antioch, TN who passed away during his rookie season with the Music City Drum Corps in 2017. A scholarship fund was created to honor his love of music, his passion for the activity, the value he placed in education, and the enduring impact he made within the DCI community. The scholarship will pay all or part of the recipients’ corps membership fees. One or more full and/or partial scholarships will be awarded annually at the discretion of the Selection Committee based upon available funds and applicants’ demonstrated financial need. The scholarship is funded by donations from the public. New and returning corps members who reside in Middle Tennessee are eligible to apply.
- Applicants may be first-time or returning members who have successfully auditioned and been offered a membership contract for the season for which the scholarship will apply.
- Applicants must reside within Davidson County, Tennessee, or one of its six surrounding counties: Cheatham, Robertson, Sumner, Wilson, Rutherford, and Williamson.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must demonstrate a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale from their most current high school or college.
- Applicants, while a member of Music City Drum Corps, must reflect attributes similar to those exemplified by Finis Sparkman: demonstrate outstanding musicianship, epitomize dedication, be a team player, and make a positive impact.
- Submit a completed scholarship application form found on the corps website by the JANUARY 31 deadline.
- Provide record of parent(s) or guardian(s) combined annual gross income for the most recent tax year available. In the event the applicant is an emancipated minor or independent self-supporting adult, provide record establishing independent status and record of annual gross income for the most recent tax year available.
- Provide record of most recent GPA substantiated by most recent school transcript.
- Provide a letter of reference from someone outside the applicant’s family.
- Complete an interview with members of the Scholarship Selection Committee. Interview may take place via conference call, online, or in person.
The scholarship is awarded for a single season. Recipient(s) may apply again in subsequent year(s) and is not guaranteed to receive a scholarship.
The scholarship application process is closed for 2018.
The Finis Sparkman Memorial Scholarship is funded entirely by private donations. If you would like to contribute to the scholarship fund, you can do so by debit/credit card or personal check. Click the Contribute button below to let us know you’d like to help.